Uyghur Times

Uyghur Truth, Uyghur Voice

Uyghur Activist Files Complaint After Alleged Chinese Assault at Netherlands Protest

4 min read
article banner support uyghurs


Uyghur version of this article was published by Uyghur Post
February 16

Abdurehim Gheni Uyghur, a Uyghur activist based in the Netherlands, has filed a formal complaint after he was forcibly removed from a Chinese New Year event organized by the Chinese Embassy on February 14 at The Hague City Hall in The Hague.

According to Gheni, he was conducting a peaceful protest at the event when he was dragged out by force. The incident is seen by some observers as part of what they describe as the Chinese government’s transnational efforts to suppress the political activities of Uyghurs living abroad.

Video footage circulated online appears to show Gheni holding a protest placard before being physically removed by individuals described as Chinese personnel and security staff. In remarks to Uyghur Post, Gheni said:

“I was peacefully calling attention to the Chinese government’s genocide against Uyghurs. The Netherlands has recognized the Uyghur genocide. China has detained 19 of my family members and deprived my father of his life. I was urging people not to believe Chinese propaganda and to stop the Uyghur genocide. They used force against me.”

According to Uyghur Post’s review, the event marked the 24th annual national celebration of the Chinese New Year held at the venue. A Dutch-language announcement from the Chinese Cultural Center in The Hague stated that the event was organized by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the People’s Republic of China and the Chinese Embassy in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, with support from The Hague municipality and several Chinese community organizations. Performances were reportedly provided by the Zhejiang Wu Opera Research Center.

Two years ago, at the same venue, controversy arose after Chinese performers were seen wearing Uyghur-style clothing and presenting themselves as Uyghurs during a performance. At that time, activists including Gheni attended the event and shared video footage online criticizing the portrayal.

This year, Gheni said he attended the event out of concern, accompanied by two other Uyghurs identified as Jasur and Ahmetjan. According to Gheni, Jasur briefly raised an East Turkistan flag on stage in protest before being removed by police and ordered to leave the city within 24 hours.

Gheni stated that the area around the stage was heavily secured. He alleged that five Chinese security personnel and three local Dutch security staff restrained him.

“They twisted my neck and forced me to the ground. The Chinese personnel threatened me in Chinese, saying, ‘I will kill you,’ but avoided speaking English or Dutch so others would not understand. In a corner of the hall, they lifted my feet off the ground and twisted them. Later, police arrived. The Chinese personnel had no authority to detain me,” he said.

He further alleged that his placard was taken and not returned. Police officers reportedly advised him to file a complaint, which he has done. He said the case is now under investigation.

When asked whether he had been struck, Gheni responded:

“They threw me to the ground, pressed my head against the floor, and kneed me while tightly restraining my neck. My body and chest still hurt. It has affected my normal movement and even my ability to pray.”

Event organizers also announced additional Chinese New Year activities, including cultural performances at the Amare Theater near City Hall and a festive parade in Chinatown on February 21 featuring fireworks and traditional lion and dragon dances.

Following the incident, Gheni wrote on social media that he had been violently attacked while peacefully expressing his opposition at the celebration. He emphasized that freedom of expression and personal security are protected rights in the Netherlands and said he would pursue all legal avenues available to him.

The video of the incident spread rapidly online, drawing hundreds of comments. Many expressed support for Gheni and praised his courage.

Dilnur Reyhan, a Uyghur academic and president of the European Uyghur Institute, commented publicly in support of Gheni, stating that greater activism among Uyghur communities worldwide would strengthen their cause.

Others called for legal accountability for those involved in the alleged assault. Gheni said the case is currently under review and may be discussed in the municipal parliament. He also indicated that Dutch media outlets are expected to report on the matter.

One social media user wrote in support: “Even standing alone among so many, you bravely raised your voice and disrupted what they consider their major celebration. Stay safe.”


Discover more from Uyghur Times

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Uyghur Times

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading